This international seminar is meant to serve as a meeting between lawyers and victims from social organisations that have experience in the fight against the impunity of transnational companies. Based on the perspective of the victims, it also aims to contribute to legal analysis, training, the construction of joint work plans, and the strengthening of networks to hold transnational companies responsible for human rights violations. This event will include the presence of international experts.
Issues to be approached:
- Economic activities and human rights.
- Legal responsibility of transnational companies. Evaluation, challenges and perspectives for litigation in Latin America and throughout the world.
- Fight against impunity from the perspective of the victims. Differential approach based on gender and community.
- Construction of joint agendas and work plans.
What do we hope to achieve?
- Joint training and analysis by the participants on the contextual issues: Transnational companies, economic globalisation and human rights.
- Reflection on the most recurrent issues and the ways to legally hold transnational companies responsible for human rights violations.
- Progress on joint litigation proposals against transnational companies, which contribute to the comprehensive enforcement of human rights (politically, socially and legally).
- Construction of a framework of principles for the development of national and international litigation against transnational companies, as part of the comprehensive enforcement of human rights in Latin America.
Who will participate?
We are inviting the participation of social sectors, which have been victims of human rights violations by transnational companies. We also seek the participation of human rights trial lawyers with experience in the fight against impunity with respect to transnational companies in Latin America and other parts of the world with the purpose of establishing a dialogue on the needs and solutions to this issue.
JOSE ALVEAR RESTREPO LAWYERS’ COLLECTIVE